Greetings, IRR Supporters, and welcome to your weekend update!
Stay tuned for weekly updates to keep you informed about what is going on up at the State Capitol throughout the 2018 Legislative Session, help you engage with your elected officials and decision makers around the state, and provide you with information to activate your voice for Iowa rivers!
- Each week you’ll be provided with a list of upcoming legislative forums to attend around the state
- We will share House and Senate file numbers so that you can track interesting bills
- We will provide you with our legislative priorities and talking points
- We’ll teach you how to get in touch with key players on key issues to make your voice count
- We may ask for a ‘call to action’ with a specific ask to make locally and/or at the state level
To get started, check out the following websites that can be very helpful during the legislative session
- The House voted to pass Senate File 512 (also known as the Senate Water Quality Bill). IRR opposed this bill last session (2017) for the lack of measurable accountability and because it took money out of the general fund.The name of this bill is deceiving as it is really NOT a comprehensive water quality bill but a ‘drop in the bucket’ so to speak.IRR supports long term, sustainable funding for water quality solutions with measurable goals and responsible use of Iowa taxpayer dollars.
- Bottle Bill
- HF 44/SF 456 DMWW bills
Our top priority this session is to restore funding for Dam Mitigation and Water Trails. This funding supports the DNR’s River Program and has helped fund popular projects such as the whitewater courses in Charles City and Manchester. This funding is allocated by the Transportation, Infrastructure, and Capitals Appropriations Subcommittee. IRR will be presenting to this committee later in February but we could use your help reaching out to them ahead of time.
Here are the members of the committee:
- Craig Johnson Chair (R) NE Iowa- Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan and Feyette Counties
- Tim L. Kapucian Vice Chair (R) Eastern Iowa- Benton, Iowa and Poweshiek Counties
- Matt McCoy Ranking Member (D) Southern Iowa- Polk and Warren Counties
- Tod R. Bowman (D) Eastern Iowa- Dubuque, Jackson and Jones Counties
- Roby Smith (R) Eastern Iowa- Scott County
- Daniel A. Huseman Chair (R) Cherokee County
- Skyler Wheeler Vice Chair (R) Sioux County
- Dennis M. Cohoon Ranking Member (D) Des Moines County
- Gary Carlson (R) Muscatine County
- David Kerr (R) Louisa County
- Mary Mascher (D) Johnson County
- Dave Maxwell (R) Poweshiek County
- Amy Nielsen (D) Johnson County
- Ras Smith (D) Black Hawk County
If you see your Senator or Representative on this list, please consider contacting them to talk about the importance of dam mitigation and water trails and the revitalization, economic development and recreational opportunities that can result when we embrace our rivers and streams, and turn them into a safe and fun amenity for communities across Iowa.
Mark your Calendar:
- IWILL/Fund the Trust Lobby Day at the Capitol- Monday, February 12, 2018
- Green Drinks meetup with Adam Hammes and Women for Water at Peace Tree Brewing- Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 5 PM
- Environmental Lobby Day at the Capitol- Thursday, March 22, 2018